Monday, April 5, 2010

Tights and tutus

Fishnets. Tutus. Belts. Socks. Laces. Tights. Skirts. An integral part of roller derby is the style that goes with it. Rollergirls adorn themselves with any assortment of accessories - bright, muted, matching, clashing, frilly, sleek, vintage, athletic - depending on their mood, their personality, and their budget.

The media makes much of roller derby aesthetics, and many skaters talk about how their outfits make them feel empowered, fun, feminine, boisterous, etc. Conversely, roller derby style also sometimes leads people less familiar with modern roller derby to think it's less athletic just because its participants have more "wardrobe freedom" than in other sports. After one bout, however, it's apparent that the apparel has nothing to do with the athleticism.

Roller derby fashion is also often practical - getting a run in your tights during a fall is better than getting your skin torn open, taking a whip by grabbing a teammate's belt is often easier than grabbing her hips, and wearing high socks can make those kicks to the shin less painful.

Although everyone has her own style, and theirs wouldn't work for me, I'm envious of how good some girls look all the time. My favorites are Babe E. Quakes, Therapissed, Lucy Ferocious, eRacer X, Grim Gracey, and 9 Lb Hammer. I'm a huge fan of tutus, belts, and matching booty shorts with tights, when other people are wearing them.

Although I'm never going to be completely coordinated or strive for ultimate cuteness, I have a history of "dressing derby" even before I'd ever heard of roller derby. These pictures are from my second marathon - I had observed that runners who stood out from the crowd got a lot more cheers, and since none of my family could be there to cheer me on, I was appealing to the crowd with my cloud-pattern tights. (Kind of like derby!)

During the summers, I amused my volleyball team by wearing random outfits to our games. My favorite is the bathing-suit-top/my-brother's-gigantic-shorts combo.



I can't say that my derby outfits or my previous sports' outfits made me feel any more tough, feminine, or empowered, but I thought they were funny!

So, rollergirls, what's your style and why? How does it make you feel? (There's an English teacher statement.)

Fans, what's your favorite style?

6 comments:

  1. A coworker asked me today if what we wore were lil skirts, short shorts and fishnets or tights during a bout! I said yea ofcourse thats derby and alot of it is more functional than you would think! What a coincidence you wrote about this today =) I love the derby style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I watch roller derby, I like wearing something that makes me feel masculine and empowered, yet fun & boisterous. When playing sports, though, I go for whatever makes me most comfortable to perform at the highest level.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww, I'm mentioned! I'm flattered, Brigitte.

    (your closing statement is a bit therapy-esque, too)

    I think for some it's about showing that women can be sexy and athletic and tough and breaking the stereotypes of either being sporty and boyish or being sexy, unintelligent, nice, and passive.

    For me, I like how leggings or tights and a short skirt look on me. It just seems cute and fun and I just wouldn't be a fan of a "jock look." I'm not a diva, fashion plate, or anything, but the derby look appeals to me and seems to suit me. As a DDG once said (Ebbin, I think), "some people dress this way because of derby and some people like derby because they dress this way."
    I love the "wardrobe freedom" and the chance to highlight individuality (so I cringed about matching socks ;P ) When I "derbify" my look, I feel like a strong woman who's ready to have some fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And Jeff's response is TOO funny! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeff you are just too cute for words!
    I don't have a style. I am still thinking about the game and strategy as well as how to get my feet to move faster. I do think that every 41 year old woman needs to wear 'Team Edward' and 'Lady Gaga' shirts...or maybe the Hot Topic police should come confiscate my Hot Topic club card?
    The apparel item I cannot be without: tights. They serve a purpose out there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. awww.. thanks Brige!!! I am envious of your long legs! Long legs, long strides!!

    ReplyDelete