Thursday, March 8, 2012

Vibram Five Fingers shoes

I haven't been running lately because of the surgery, but I thought I'd follow up on the Vibram Five Fingers shoes I got in November.

I'm just not loving them. I thought I would, and I did at first, but now they kind of just pinch and make my feet sweaty.

When I was going to the gym, I liked wearing them there a lot, especially for weightlifting, because I like to feel exactly where my feet are and minimize changes of slipping (like for the leg press and abductors/adductors, etc). Also not a fan of people doing a double-take after glancing at my feet.

When running, I loved them at first because I immediately was able to run further, like a mile and a half instead of four blocks, because they somehow made my post-pregnancy joint pain not a problem. I guess that's the advantage of being able to feel how I land on the ground. But with walking, they really kind of just made me tired. And the whole sweaty-feet thing. Usually I wear my flip-flops for long walks anyway, so I've gone back to that now that it's warm.

So... I'll give the Vibrams another try when I'm allowed to do things other than walk again (April! Woohoo!), but for now I would definitely not recommend them.

1 comment:

  1. A lot of guys I know like them for weightlifting and sprinting. For deadlifts/squats the "feel" of the floor with your feet is critical for heavy weights. And sprinting barefoot is good too.

    I'm a cheap bastard and use socks with rubber grips, and any barefoot running I do in the grass...

    ReplyDelete