Monday, April 2, 2012

Not going to work, miscellaneous

I feel like I have some more to say on the topic of not going to work that doesn't fit nicely with the last post.

When Jeff and I were engaged, we weren't sure yet where we'd live or work. We decided that whoever got the higher-paying job would probably be the one to keep the job if we had kids. The other one would stay home. And he got a job first, so...

I do still work. Having a job that pays me for what I do rather than for the hours I put in and that I can do at home on my own schedule, within deadlines of course, is ideal. I like it a lot. So in that sense, we're doubly blessed because I still have something to do that's just for me, that keeps me from getting super bored when Matt's sleeping, and I get paid.

But... I would definitely give that up if it required me to make other arrangements for Matthew during the day. It would be worth it to not work at all. Even without a second income, I keep thinking about all the money we're saving by not having to pay for: childcare, transportation to work for me, work clothes for me, formula and associated supplies, and disposable diapers (apparently most childcare places insist on that).

I'm not sure it would be worth it to spend more to make more. Money is so overrated. I've had a couple people (chiropractor, acquaintance, random other person I met) tell me that I should get someone to watch Matthew or put him in daycare for a day or two a week so I can work more. I just politely smile and thank them for their suggestion, then feel thankful that we don't have to do that. I'd rather cut back on buying some stuff or increase the number of years we'll be paying our mortgage than cut back on the time I get to spend with my baby.

A saying that's alternately inspiring and infuriating comes to mind: "You always have time for the things you put first."

No comments:

Post a Comment