Monday, April 23, 2012

Kind of pathetic post about love

Every Monday, I'm a little bit sad that the weekend's over and Jeff has to go back to work. Actually, I'm a lot sad. It seems like we just never have enough time together!

I was thinking about this a lot a couple weekends ago when Jeff was in Birmingham to take his two-day engineering test. He was gone for two nights, and it just wasn't the same around here. I know a ton of people spend a lot of time apart, to travel for their jobs, to get away, to visit friends or family separately, or to just change things up a little. I could only come up with a couple times that Jeff and I have spent the night apart in the almost-three years that we've been married: I was away for two roller derby bouts and once to visit my mom, and Jeff was away for a baseball game and a golf outing. There might be a couple other times in there, but I can't remember. But we're not those people who need time away. We spend all our time together, but still we don't get tired of each other. (Even on vacation. You know that's love, when you can spend almost every minute of a whole week together––and like it.)

Back when I was in college, my roommate and I always talked about how we thought we'd know it when we met the guys we would marry. We thought a pretty good indication would be to date guys we liked more than they liked us. It seems true. Before meeting Jeff, I definitely didn't date anyone I was just crazy about; their affection for me seemed unreal in its intensity, since I could never quite return it. It all kind of seemed silly (easier to say in retrospect, of course, but still true). I feel pretty certain that the depth of my love and appreciation for Jeff exceeds anything I'd previously imagined or thought possible.

When we were engaged, all the time people were telling me how Jeff and I would have all these horrible, epic newlywed fights that would bring us closer together. Ha ha ha! We've maybe had a couple times where we've had some annoying miscommunication resulting in both of us being ticked off...but still waiting on those fights. (Tip: Don't try to talk to each other when you're in different rooms. It's hard to hear and easy to not catch all the words. Tip, part two: Don't try to talk to each other when the baby is screeching loudly. Wait till he's a little quieter.)

Once we were married, all the time we said, "Ha ha! We're married! How great is that! We're such grownups!" It was great eating supper together and then not having to have one of us drive home. We were already home!

Now we say, "Ha ha! We're married! We have a baby! A baaay-bee! Best baby in the world! We're such grownups!" And what a great excuse to hang out together at home even more. It makes me think of that Alabama song: "She and I live in our own little world, don't worry about the world outside. She and I agree, she and I lead a perfectly normal life. Ah, but just because we aren't often seen socially, people think we've got something to hide. But all our friends know we're just a little old-fashioned. Oh, ain't it great, ain't it fine to have a love, someone that others can't find. Ain't it wonderful to know all we ever need is just the two of us, she and I."

One of the things that I like best about Jeff is that he's always the same. Every day, I know I can count on him. Plus, he says witty things. And knows what I'm talking about even if it wouldn't make sense to anyone else. And he's not overly emotional. Some people might like their men to be more emotive, but stoic works well, too. Yay for manly men. Also, he's good at grammar, so grammar jokes are usually not lost on him. (These are important points.) His faith is strong. But so, so important is that Jeff is the same as when we met; he's always there and always dependable.

I'm so thankful that God has given us each other and kept strengthening and deepening our love for each other. But I'd really like extra weekends, too!

No comments:

Post a Comment