Monday, April 9, 2012

Roller derby!

Woohoo! I can't wait for practice tonight! So I rejoined roller derby last week after getting the all-clear from the surgeon, and I'm so excited about it. I practiced last Sunday and Monday. Sunday was an easy outdoor skate. Monday––scrimmage! What? I know! I went through my basic skills successfully, then right into scrimmage! First time hitting people since September 2010, by my best guess.

Some things I learned:
I am not afraid of getting hit. Or hitting. You'd think this is something that a person would fear after so much time away. I was a little nervous at first, but it all came back quickly.

I am super slow. Keeping up with the pack is tough after months of inactivity.

Taking a year and a half off scrimmaging made me feel like I'd never played before in the sense that it's so fast! All the action is happening at once! So many places to look!

Oh, how I love my teammates. Practice was so focused. It felt very goal-oriented and "team-y."

New skates don't break themselves in.

Only five more hours!

No comments:

Post a Comment