Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Tiny taskmaster

One of Matt's main interests is helping with household tasks. While his help makes everything take at least one million times longer, we still encourage his participation (of course). But sometimes, the tiny taskmaster gets really, really upset if we're not doing things exactly how he wants it done.

For example, one day I had the dishwasher open so all the clean dishes could dry fully. I was also working on laundry. Matthew woke up from his nap and enthusiastically followed me to the dryer. And then he spotted the dishwasher! With dishes! Dishes to put away! What?! So exciting! At least a hundred times more exciting than putting laundry in the dryer. He was completely outraged that I would not immediately put away dishes. He cried really hard for the whole two minutes it took me to put the clothes in the dryer. But don't worry! Then he had the best day ever once he got to hand me the dishes.

Speaking of dishes, lately Jeff has been putting them away in the morning with Matt's help while I'm still sleeping. Yesterday, though, we had the excitement of putting them away in the afternoon. But Matthew let me know that I clearly know nothing about putting away dishes now. I was doing it all wrong. The tiny taskmaster did NOT like for me to shake the water off the container lids. He handed me a towel, said "towel," and looked at me with an expression that he will probably use constantly when he's a teenager––clearly scornful of my lack of knowledge on how things are done around here. Then I made the mistake of handing him a pot to put away in a lower cupboard. He handed it back, all like, "Psshhh, I don't put away pots." His little attitude let me know that I'd better do things the right way or just let Dad do it.

One day I suggested to Matthew that he put the clothes from the big basket into the little basket since he was having trouble with the usual way (little basket into big basket), and he just gave me that scornful look again. Doesn't Mom know anything?

And don't get me started on the right way to sweep the garage! Tiny taskmaster has all his own ideas about that, too. He'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment