Monday, February 13, 2012

Baby sleep chronicles, day 2

So on Sunday, day 2 of baby sleep chronicles, Matthew took a nice, long nap with only 8 minutes of fussing beforehand. I think he slept an hour and forty minutes or so. His second nap on Sunday was also good, longer than usual, and he fell asleep after about 20 minutes of fussing. His third nap was okay but shorter than usual. All in all, success.

Sunday night we went through the routine, earlier than Saturday, at our ideal time of putting Matthew in the crib between 6 and 6:30. He fell asleep with less than 20 minutes of crying, with Jeff still checking on him and reassuring him, with me still hiding out in the bathroom with the fan on, talking on the phone. Matt fell asleep at 6:35, and he didn't get up for the day until 6:50 a.m. He had a slight crying jag somewhere around 3 again (the time I was previously trying to feed him, when he would only sometimes eat). I'm astounded. I'm just astounded.

Napping today has been good. Matt's on his second nap. The first one, I didn't think he should be tired yet, but he was, and he fell asleep after about 20 minutes of fussing. He only slept 35 minutes or so, though. The second nap... that's what he's doing now. He fussed about 8 minutes, cried about 2 minutes, talked to himself for a couple more minutes, then fell asleep. He's been sleeping for 2 hours and 5 minutes!

Yes––2 hours and 5 minutes!

Is my really-good-at-sleeping baby coming back? I hope so. I think if we stick to this routine, everything will be great. Even though it hurts me to hear Matt cry even a little bit, things are already so much better. I know we'll still have to get up in the night sometimes when he gets more teeth and whatnot, but I think we're on the right track now. Losing the pacifier immediately helped with daytime napping, and not rocking is helping even more. Two long naps are infinitely preferable to five short naps. And not getting up in the night makes the days so very much better.

Stay tuned for baby sleep chronicles, day 3, to see if tonight goes as well as last night. I have high hopes.

And... 2 hours and 10 minutes and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment