Monday, January 16, 2012

10 reasons I quit a perfectly good roller derby team to help start a new one in the same city 10/31/11

People have asked me a bunch of times why I didn’t rejoin Dixie Derby Girls after having the baby and have instead joined a start-up team, Rolling Arsenal of Derby, in the same city. Here’s why (not in order):
1. Smaller team. RAD is capping the team at 20 players. One team, no plans for expansion. This is an environment in which I thrive. More playing time in scrimmages, easier to get to know how my teammates play, less room for personal slacking and excuses for not training harder.

2. Led by a single coach. When I played rugby in college, I found that the seasons we had a dedicated coach were better organized than the seasons some of the vets ran practices. Same thing here. I like organization.

3. Not many off-the-track obligations. There aren’t many fundraisers, so that really adds to my time hanging out at home and free time on weekends.

4. Not in it for the friends. My “real life” friends, aka people who have been to my house for completely social reasons, all play for DDG or have quit roller derby altogether. But, you know, real friends stay friends even when they don’t get to hit each other. My RAD teammates, who I consider friendly acquaintances that may become friends throughout time, I think are also more focused on just playing than playing to make friends. (I know. I’m unfriendly. Always have been.)

5. Challenge. I like a practice that makes me cry. RAD practices are so reminiscent of practices with Burn City when I first joined in Auburn. Just a team’s worth of girls pushing it hard and encouraging each other. If I miss a practice, I feel like I’ve missed so much. One time a couple years ago, I cried after practice out of frustration that we weren’t training harder. I don’t think that will happen again.

6. Off-skates workouts. Plyometrics and stairs and running and hiking, and a majority of the team showing up with enthusiasm. I’m such a fan of cross-training. Adds to the fun!

7. No derby names and no crazy outfits. This is something I think is good for derby overall, but it’s also something that has irked me since the first time I stepped on the rink. I like some garish, non-matching tights, socks, and accessories, but I kind of hate seeing people’s butt cheeks and full cleavage and thongs outside of short shorts. And derby names have also never been my thing.

8. So much cheaper! I’m saving about $400 on dues this year! (All the more to spend on t-shirts and gear!)

9. More convenient practice times. See #3 re: more time hanging out at home when the baby’s awake, and not practicing during supper time. Added bonus: less traffic on the way to practice.

10. More say in league happenings, but no meetings. Less bureaucracy in the nonprofit side of things. I can say, “Hey, let’s do this thing,” we vote on it immediately, and we either do it or don’t do it. Less discussion, more action. Anything that gets me out of meetings is a good thing.

So if you’re in Huntsville during the season, check me out skating with RAD (www.rollingarsenalofderby) or swing by a DDG game (www.dixiederbygirls.com).

No comments:

Post a Comment