Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Aquacise!

The saddest part of Christmas vacation with my family here was that I couldn't do anything, really. Everyone went running. I stayed home. I'm the runner of the family! I always have been! But this joint pain will just not go away. I can only run about a mile without it hurting, and I don't want to be in pain forever.

So, I decided to join a gym here and take some water aerobics classes. Last week, I tried on my swimsuit. Then I laugh-cried for a while at how obscenely small the top has become. Oh, how I long for double-A days again. So I just lifted weights for a while instead. Today, properly attired, I made it to the pool. Matthew chilled in the playcare with the other babies, and I flailed around with all the other aquacisers.

...all of whom were at least 30 years older than me, except maybe the instructor at 15 to 20 years older. I'm pretty sure I was the only one without gray hair, with a two-piece bathing suit, and without a perm. Nothing like being the skinniest, youngest person in a workout class to start the day! Ha ha. I was also the only one without a decent baseline of coordination. But at least, unlike in the beginner step class I tried last week, in the water it's harder to tell the magnitude of my lack of coordination and rhythm.

Hopefully Thursday I'll make it back to flail around with the old people. Now, time to make a wild-game crockpot pot roast (thanks, Andrea and Meade!).

No comments:

Post a Comment