Monday, January 16, 2012

All my free time 11/7/11

This is not a joke. I’m wondering what people with babies (or kids in school) do all day. I usually wait for Matt to fall asleep and immediately start working, but I haven’t had an assignment in a week and half. So, it’s like a whole new thing around here.

I know, I know, those of you with toddlers are probably thinking, “She’s crazy! Free time? What’s that? I vaguely remember it. And now I’m angry thinking about someone else with time to herself! Argh!”

But I’ll press on.

So the little pudger takes about five 45-minute naps per day. That leaves me a lot of time to do whatever around the house. Some of this time goes to washing things: dishes, diapers, regular laundry, miscellaneous surfaces. One of these times usually goes to me napping. You know, I have to sleep while the baby is sleeping; everyone says so. I also write a lot of letters, read a lot of books, sort the millions of pictures we have of the baby, and keep track of the bills and money spent. I only do about one-third to half of the cooking. Maybe that’s where I’m getting extra free time.

But still. I have a friend with one kid, who’s in school all day, and this lady says she’s busy all day long from really early until really late. She doesn’t have a paying job, her volunteer obligations are limited, and she doesn’t have family in the area with whom she’s spending time. I can’t figure out how she’s filling those hours. (I don’t want to ask. See previous post about not making people feel bad by accident.)

I’m not judging here. I’m just wondering. What takes up your time?

No comments:

Post a Comment